Monday, December 23, 2013

Countdown to the WDW Half-Marathon: Final Race Instructions!!

This is a cross post from my running blog Run Kimmy, Run!

Wow!  Time is flying faster than Tink!  I can't believe that in just shy of 2 weeks I'll be in Florida for the WDW Marathon weekend!  It seemed so far away last January when I decided I wanted to be there this year.  It's almost unbelievable that I AM going to be there this year!
Last week, it got more real. I received the eagerly anticipated final race instructions from Run Disney for the 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend.  Because it's a crazy busy time in my life for many reasons, I have not digested all the information completely but I can't wait to find the time to do so! Perhaps the most exciting information was receiving my bib number and corral placement and being able to print my race waiver!  I just cannot wait to hold that magical bib in my hands!  This is really happening!  Soon!  Like in 2 weeks!  Yay!
They have significantly increased the number of corrals this year but also significantly decreased the number of people in each corral.  I think this is a good thing.  It also looks as if they have decreased the starting intervals between corrals as well so each corral is sent off sooner than in previous years, likely due to the decrease in the number of runners in each corral, making for a hopefully less congested course, especially at the start.  It does appear we need to be at the start area early for this reason.  Instructions say all runners must board the buses by 4 am to make it to the starting corral on time for a 5:30 am race start.  No doubt we'll be on the first available bus.  :-)
The race program for the entire weekend is also available.  It is extensive and tremendously informative and not at all friendly for printing at home thanks to the color saturation and the 36 pages!  I am expecting to receive a hard copy of it when we pick up our race packets at the Expo.
The program contains a wealth of information about everything you need to know about the WDW Marathon Weekend and all the events encompassing transportation, corral and course maps, spectator information, special events like the pasta party, cool down party, ChEAR squad information and race retreat information, race etiquette for runners, safety and nutrition information.
There is also detailed information on the Expo including hours of operation and a map of the Wide World of Sports Complex for ease of knowing where you need to go to find your packets, Run Disney merchandise, vendors and speakers.   There is a booth specific map of the vendor area so if you know which vendors you wish to see, it saves you from wandering around looking for them.  I love this!  Advance planning is key for a stress free Expo (and shopping) experience!  This should help with time management and make for an efficient packet pick up and Expo experience.  We're planning to go to the Expo the first day it's open (Wednesday) after we arrive, so we're hoping it's not terribly crowded.
And of course, there is the bling!  Donald, you're all mine!
2014MarathonMedals_590x476
Now, I must go study that program!

No comments:

Post a Comment