Sunday, February 24, 2013

My momcation!

What I did for February Vacation
By Kimberly

I had a momcation!  I had a momcation!  OMG!  It was awesome.  

I've not posted until now because I was nurturing ME!  I wrote a few weeks ago bout the importance of me time.  I was granted a bit of it each day this week and for the past two weekends and it has been delightfully restoring.  

Here is what I've done (besides work my usual full time schedule):
  • A LOT of dancing!  Three social ballroom dance events of several hours duration, two private lessons, a few group classes and we finally 'graduated' from the Bronze I level.  Dancing is something my husband and I enjoy tremendously and it's something we have not been able to do nearly as much as we would like because of the children's schedules.  We took advantage these past 10 days of making it about us and it was wonderful!  Not to mention good exercise!  
  • My husband and I have spent some lovely quality time together.  Eating out.  Eating in.  Eating at the same time!  Watching TV.  Talking.  Re-connecting.  Being together.
  • I went out after dancing on Friday night for a drink with friends.  At a lounge!  I stayed up past midnight!  
  • I began running again.  Sure, the 5K looming two weeks from today was also a motivator since I've not run since December, and I use the term 'run' loosely (read jog and walk intervals) but it felt good to get back outside and pound the pavement.  Running grounds me, literally.  It is good for my body and for my mind as it provides for processing, stress relief and even a meditative state at times.  I enjoy being outside in nature, especially in the early morning hours.  I'd prefer it not be so cold, but even that didn't bother me too much.  
  • I slept in every day!  OK, so it was usually only an hour or so, but not having to get up at 5:30 to rouse my children and nag them to be ready for school was a luxury.  My body got to do what it needed to do. I slept at least 7 hours every night, sometimes as many as 9 hours!  That is unheard of for me.  I've been a much happier person for it.  
  • My house stayed clean.  I repeat, my house stayed clean!  It's a miracle! 
  • I attended Reiki Share and had a fantastic mediation experience.  It was both calming and energizing.  
  • I had a massage!
  • I got my hair cut!
  • I had a lovely day yesterday with a spirit sister and friend just wandering around a metaphysical book store, attending a Feng Shui seminar and enjoying a leisurely lunch consisting of excellent food, company and insightful conversation. It was delightful and charged my spiritual batteries.
  • I created a Web site for both informative and business purposes
  • I updated Meghan's Web site and saw the article I was interviewed for and assisted the journalist in bringing to life finally published today 2 months after that journey began.
  • I was invited to write a guest blog series and a freelance article.  Both of which I have worked on today. The Universe continues to provide opportunities for me to follow my calling and my passion.  
  • I devoted time and energy to manifesting my dreams.  
  • Did I mention my house stayed clean?! 
  • I watched the snow fall, I photographed the birds and I enjoyed simply sitting on the couch with nothing to do with a cat in my lap and a cup of tea in my hand.  

Although I wish I had the entire week day and night with which to nourish my weary body, heart and soul, I am grateful for the time I did carve out.  There is, of course, so much more I wish I had gotten done.  Still, I accomplished much.  There was a nice balance of have to do with want to do along with the all important need to do items in order to keep my sanity intact! 

How did I mange this you ask?  My boys spent the week with their father.  They ski every February vacation week with friends.  My eldest son gets to see his best friend since infancy who lives in California and they both get a good dose of exercise and fresh air.  I talked to them nearly every day while they were away.  It sounds like they were having fun but are ready to come home. I think they enjoyed the momcation as much as I did.  Well, OK, maybe not. 

I now eagerly await their return.  I have missed them but I have not missed the noise, the mess, the schedule juggling, the mom taxi duties and the supervision and management of home and school tasks that come with mothering.  It's OK to enjoy the hiatus from parenting.  I think it makes me a better mom. 

I must admit, I do dread tomorrow morning.  They won't return until late tonight.  They have to get up at 6 am and they are on west coast time, yet we live on the east coast.  It's not going to be pretty.  The next few days will be challenging as they re-adjust to the time and the crazy school and soccer routine again.  The eldest has a huge physics project looming and much to do for it, soccer will be ramping up in a few weeks for spring (if the snow ever stops falling) and life just doesn't get less busy it seems.  

The opportunity to re-charge, for me as much as for them, is a gift to us all. 

Still, I'm ready for them to return.  Hurry up already, mom misses her boys!  





No comments:

Post a Comment